The editorial process of the Artificial Intelligence Journal is performed by the Artificial Intelligence Journal Division, AIJD, under a contract with Elsevier BV, the company that publishes the Journal. It is in charge of the acquisition, reception, selection, and evaluation of contributions to the AIJ, supplies accepted contributions to Elsevier for publication.
In formal terms, AIJD is one of the two divisions of IJCAI, the other division being IJCAI's organization for its biennial conferences. The inclusion of AIJ activities as a division within IJCAI occurred in 2002. AIJD has the following committees and officers:
- The Steering Committee which is in charge of major organizational decisions, including those of an financial character.
- The two Editors-in-Chief, presently Rina Dechter and Patrick Doherty.
- The two Review Editors who are in charge of the acquisition and evaluation of survey and tutorial articles as well as book reviews and similar publications.
- The Associate Editors who assist the editors-in-chief in the reviewing process.
- The Editorial Board which represents the full and broad scientific competence of the Journal.
- The Editorial Secretariat which performs administrative tasks in the workflow of reviewing submitted articles and delivering accepted articles to Elsevier.
The membership in each committee can be retrieved using the menu on the left bar. The responsibilities and powers of these committees and persons are defined in byelaws that can be obtained from the Secretariat.